Keyword research is a practice used by search engine optimization professionals to find and research actual search queries people enter into the search engines when conducting a search. Keyword Research is the foundation for all your SEO Activities and is worth the time and investment to ensure you are targeting the right keywords on your website.
Your SEO keywords are the key words and phrases in your web content that make it possible for people to find your site via search engines. A website that is well optimized for search engines "speaks the same language" as its potential visitors.
Do you know how to get the winning combination of keywords that will drive conversions?
Step 1 – Understand your target market, personas and value proposition (know your customers, the terms they use most often to describe whatever it is you’re offering)
Step 2 – Brainstorm keywords and find the keywords that are:
& Secondary Keyword Phrases (Core Terms)
- Related Words (Synonyms, correlated)
Step 3 – Categorise the keyword list as head terms and long tail keywords
Step 4 – Use third party tools like Google’s Keyword Planner tool to shortlist keywords based on competition level and difficulty.
Step 5 - Once the right selection of keywords has been done map the keywords as per urls on your website
Step 6 – Optimise your website by using these keywords in the:
Do you know?
Which are the best keywords to target on
How to choose a primary and secondary
How to optimally map keywords to individual
pages on your web site?
How to target keywords based on intent and
content on the page?
How to use keyword research tools like
Gain visibility online - If you optimize for your website for the right
keywords, you will achieve a top position in search results and enjoy greater visibility.
Get targeted traffic - By using the right search terms on your website, you will attract the right type of visitors who are interested in what you have to offer.
Find a profitable niche - Keyword research can help you identify the most profitable niches.
Analyse your competitors - By identifying the keywords used by your competitors, you will know exactly for which terms they rank in search results and what strategies they are using.
· Increase your search engine rankings – When targeted correctly can act as a winning combination in the SERPs
1. Keyword relevance is more important than keyword density in SEO
2. Find keywords that have real buyer intent (i.e. actual buyers are typing in those keywords in the search engines).
3. Target the keyword phrase that best represents your business as a whole on your homepage.
4. Select a Primary & Secondary Keyword for each page (Primary Keyword is the single most-valuable keyword for the page & Secondary Keyword are supportive keywords to the primary keyword)
5. Individual Product/Service Landing Pages: Focus on the keyword that describes what your target customer would be searching for.
6. Top level category pages should have the most generic versions of the keywords mapped to them
7. The sub-category pages should have the longer tail, more specific versions of the keywords mapped to them
8. All keywords mapped to a page should be included in some way in the url, title tag, meta description, headings, alt attributes and content
9. When traffic is your goal, it’s far better to get on Google’s page 1 for a lower traffic term than on Google’s page 2 (or 10, or 100) for a higher traffic term.
10.If you have a blog then target long tail keywords on blog posts
11.Old keywords need to be re-evaluated periodically
12.Go for Keywords with moderate search volume and low competition
13.Webmaster Tools will give you real numbers regarding impressions, click-through and average rankings of keywords.
· Only doing SEO keyword research once,
· Not bothering to update and expand SEO keyword list
· Targeting keywords that are too popular, meaning they’re way too competitive.
· There’s no point in trying to rank #1 in Google for keywords that won’t bring you any traffic.
Keyword Suggestion Tools